Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Readers’ Review of Expectations


There is really nothing more encouraging for a writer than an awesome review. Receiving good reviews is probably one of the best parts about writing. I love to share my work and I find it especially rewarding when someone enjoys my writing and appreciates the presentation and the individuality. The following review was originally posted on Readers’ Favorites and can be found on Barnes and Nobles and Google Books.

Reviewed by Mamta Madhavan for Readers' Favorite

Expectations by Regina Horne Beard is a collection of poems that speaks about the common human emotions that we experience in our lives. The poems are all written in free verse and teach us how to go on a path of intellectual, mental, and spiritual growth.
I enjoyed reading the poems. Poetry is always interesting because each poet has their own way of expressing their observations and thoughts. That means, although the emotions are the same, the way of presentation and the way of expressing them will be unique and will reflect the individuality of the poet. The poems stay true to the title, Expectations. All the poems are about relationships and our expectations. The author has managed to deal with the truth and write an emotional collection of poems that is soul-stirring and heart-rending for the readers.

The love poems like 'Desert Prince' and 'Our Life' show the softer and romantic side of the poet. 'Closure' is a beautiful poem on the closing of a relationship. The poet has handled the theme very well without going overboard. The language is crisp, minimalist, and very effective. 'Parcae' has a lot of sadness in it. 'The Enchanter' speaks about passion and desire. That is again one poem where the poet has used minimalism to enhance the powerful emotions.

I would recommend this book to poetry lovers. The emotions are connected and the poet handles a theme that all of us can understand very well.

*********

This is the second review I received that specifically mentions the poems “Our Life” and “Closure,” and the first to mention my favorite poem “The Enchanter.” It’s interesting the poems that people remember and reflect on. About a month ago, I had an extended email correspondence with one fan about “Closure.” He commented that it is often the most painful experiences in life that inspire the best work. After giving it some thought, I had to agree with his assessment. While in college, I studied history and it seemed that during times of trouble and strife, the best works of art and literature were created. For example, after the defeat of the Persians under Xerxes, art, architecture, and literature flourished in Athens, which included the building of the Parthenon. On a more microscopic scale, particular moments in our lives can inspire us to create our best work. I think “Closure” fits into this scenario nicely. “Closure” is a reflection on the darkest period in my life, a time I wish I could forget.

“Our Life” is a happy poem about love. Most of the poems I write tend to be more sad than happy, which is not a reflection on me. I’m a happy person and always smiling and laughing. Love, however, is not always a happy experience, which is why it fascinates me so much. Love can be amazing, but it can also be heartbreaking. Love is a conundrum. “Our Life” is one of those amazing love moments. It describes the depth of every day love. Some may think that this kind of comfortable love is boring but, in fact, every day love is what will sustain you. Every day love is what gives a couple the strength to withstand the cruelty of the world. It is the light that penetrates the darkness. You may not be able to live on love, but love can help you cope with life because this is the kind of love that gives hope. 

“Desert Prince” is a poem I wrote when I was in high school. It is a fantasy poem of a day dream. When I was younger, I wanted to be rescued more than anything. I did not like where I was or where I was going and, as crazy as it sounds to me today, I thought a man could change all of that. My expectations about love and life were quite fanciful back then.

“Parcae” is Latin for the Fates. According to Greek mythology, the Fates controlled the destinies of humans by weaving the Thread of Life on a loom. In this poem, I wrestle with the idea of a love that was destined to end permanently and irrevocably and coping with the pain that followed the breakup. It is definitely an unhappy poem.

“The Enchanter” is a poem about desire and the hypnotic trance a new lover can inflame. It was written in September 2000 for a Creative Writing class I was taking. It is my favorite because it is perfect in rhyme, meter, and theme. The vocabulary and the syntax are all hallmarks of poetry written by me. I view “The Enchanter” as a signature piece.

Mamta Madhavan is the first reviewer to point out that I use minimalism in my poetry. There are many different aspects to poetry that gives a poem its character. It is not only important to choose the correct words, but it is also crucial to use the right sentence length to enhance the emotion of the words. Madhavan understood that, and I appreciate her pointing it out. It’s great to have someone do such a wonderful job reviewing. She read, dissected, and translated my work beautifully. She understood the subtle nuances of poetry and applied them to my poems. Reviews don’t get much better than this!

The book trailer for Expectations:

No comments:

Post a Comment